You’ll find everything here themes that focus on eCommerce websites, simple designs for bloggers, and time-proven classics.
In any case, these options are a great place to start if you’re not sure where to begin your theme search. Let’s jump right in.
OceanWP is a versatile and one of the best free WordPress themes with a wide variety of uses, including eCommerce, business, blogging, and portfolio websites. In particular, developers will enjoy the flexibility this beautiful yet professional theme has to provide. It features a full-width static header and front page featured images, as well as a number of demo options and over a dozen extensions. As such, OceanWP is perhaps the most flexible of the theme options on our list.
Whether you need to incorporate product displays, highlight your latest blog posts, or outline the products and services you offer, this theme is an option you may want to explore more fully.
- Works great on mobile and tablet screens
- WooCommerce support
- One of the more popular options on this list
- Suitable for both professionals and hobbyists
Astra is one of the most resourceful WordPress themes on the market and there’s a reason why more than one million users built their websites using this theme. Lightweight and fast, yet includes powerful features allowing you to make any type of site, from personal blogs to web stores.
Choose from a number of different well-crafted templates or build something entirely different from scratch – Astra allows gives you the freedom to craft your perfect website vision. Several header and footer options, page-specific sidebars, and WooCommerce support, just to name a few.
Best of all, no coding knowledge is required, but if you do get stuck somewhere, an extensive knowledge base and video tutorials are available.
- Built with page builders in mind
- Multi-purpose, fit for any type of a website
- Tons of customization options
- SEO friendly, translation and RTL ready
It’s never too late to create your very own eCommerce store and Storefront can help you out. Since this free WordPress theme comes from the developers of WooCommerce, you can effortlessly integrate the eCommerce platform into your site and begin selling straight away.
Plus, with the countless WooCommerce support and extensions available, you can add subscriptions or bookings to your product listings, work out a dynamic pricing table, and much more. In addition, you can incorporate a stunning parallax background on the front page, and create customized product galleries using the various options at your disposal.
- Comes from the creators of WooCommerce
- Several layout and color options for further personalization
- Multiple widget regions
- Incredibly responsive design
Lightweight yet powerful, Zakra is one of the best free WordPress themes available built with optimal performance and fast speed in mind. Combining impactful visuals alongside a feature-rich dashboard, this theme is sure to leave your visitors impressed.
In addition to this, it is also crafted with all the major page builders for better frontend editing experience. Zakra is AMP ready, Gutenberg compatible, WooCommerce compatible, GDPR compliant, SEO optimized and WordPress plugins compatible.
Get 20+ pre-built demos suitable for businesses, construction, education, dentists, shops, cafes, spas, weddings, videos, and almost any other kind of site. Other mentionable features are advanced typography, color options, free multilingual support, mobile-ready, multiple header styles, and detailed documentation.
- Easy to use customization options
- Fully responsive and features a sleek design
- Compatible with multiple types of devices
- SEO friendly and RTL ready
Neve is a versatile, multi-purpose WordPress theme that fits any type of website. It’s an ideal blogging theme, perfect for small businesses, startups, online stores, as well as personal portfolio sites. Despite being lightweight and having a minimalistic design, Neve is packed with highly extendable features.
This theme is SEO optimized and loads incredibly fast, making it easy to rank high on the search engine results pages. Neve also works really well with WordPress Gutenberg editor and other popular page builders, such as Beaver Builder, Divi, Elementor, SiteOrigin, and Visual Composer. Overall, Neve is everything you might need, all packed in a single free theme.
- Fast and lightweight
- Constantly updated
- Highly customizable header and footer
- Over 80 different ready-made designs
With its slick, clean-looking one-page design, Hestia will make a solid first impression on any viewer. Tailored for professionals, Hestia offers a modern design that’s suitable for startups, corporate businesses, firms, and creative agencies.
Customization is easy as Hestia comes with Elementor Page Builder compatibility. Starter sites are also available, meaning that you don’t need to build a website from scratch. Performance-wise, Hestia is highly responsive, SEO-friendly, eCommerce compatible and includes Mega menus, making this one of the best theme options on this list.
- Gutenberg-ready and easily customizable
- WooCommerce support
- Includes video tutorials for additional guidance
- Translation ready
A free and fully responsive WordPress magazine theme, ideal for any type of editorial sites — whether it is related to news, magazines, or blogs, the responsive layout style is versatile and flexible. It comes with a one-click demo import option for any of the free available demos that you like.
It includes tons of easy to customize features including primary color options, typography options, custom widgets, and custom widget areas. Need to sell off your merchandise or simply open an online store? No need to worry, this theme is fully WooCommerce compatible.
For a more efficient interface, the template is also incredibly responsive, retina-ready, and SEO optimized. Not to mention the dedicated and incredible theme support to back you up.
- An ever-growing library of starter demos
- SEO optimized with considerable speed performance
- Uses a unique post system
- Compatible with other page builders, such as Beaver Builder or Elementor
For freelancers, agencies, and companies looking for a business-focused and highly customizable theme, Sydney is an excellent choice to consider. Incorporating a full-screen slider, sticky navigation, and logo upload feature, this theme offers plenty of elements catering to professional-looking websites.
With access to all Google Fonts and full control over layout and color options, there’s also plenty of customizations to help match your design to your specific brand.
Additional features include mobile responsiveness, social icon integration, and full translation abilities — essentially, everything you’ll need to run a full-featured and functional business website.
- Uses custom Elementor blocks
- Parallax backgrounds
- Translation ready with plenty of social icons to choose from
- Includes a live Customizer
What to Look for in a WordPress Theme?
A theme is a collection of files that control the way your site’s contents are displayed. Without a theme in place, your website would essentially appear plain and boring. It would include the main components, such as your content and features, but it wouldn’t have any accompanying specifics controlling its appearance.
You can find suitable themes for WordPress for just about any niches and purpose. Some are free while others have a certain cost attached. Choosing a theme can seem overwhelming, especially with the thousands of options available. However, to provide you with some guidance, here are some key points you should look for during your search:
- Key features and functionality. When you’re looking for a WordPress theme, keep in mind the various features and functionalities your site will need. For example, an eCommerce website requires integration with shopping cart plugins. For a business theme, a powerful landing page template would be very useful.
- User reviews and ratings. Online reviews of previous and current users can give you insight into each theme, including its benefits and drawbacks. While you shouldn’t take each review as gospel, it helps to view a particular theme from a different angle before making a decision.
- Developer support and frequent updates. Without proper support in place, it is possible for a theme to become obsolete. Choosing a theme with frequent updates and consistent developer input is important if you want to maintain your site’s integrity.
To make your search even easier, we recommend that you first consider the features you’ll need for your website. Then, find some themes that include those features, and jot down the list using the other two criteria mentioned — user reviews and developer support.
The best WordPress theme for your website doesn’t need to cost you a fortune. In fact, free WordPress themes can prove to be just as effective as more premium options, and often provide you with most, if not all, of the features you’ll need.